What is required to finish my BYU degree through the BGS program?
Once you are formally admitted to the Bachelor of General Studies program, you will have up to eight years in which to complete the graduation requirements. These include a minimum of 120 semester hours of earned credit, which break down as follows:
Student Development 100 (STDEV 100) Independent Study Course
Learn essential skills and create a course enrollment plan.
|General Education||30–70 hours|
|Doctrinal Foundations||14 hours|
|BYU BGS degrees require completion of BYU core requirements.|
|Exercise and Wellness|
|History (or Family History)|
Student Development 490 (STDEV 490) BGS Capstone Course
Integrate, synthesize, and reflect on your educational experience. To enroll in STDEV 490, you will need to contact the BGS office for approval.
The following policies apply:
- At least 27 credit hours (exam credit excluded) must be completed before BGS admission as an admitted day student at the BYU campus in Provo (including up to 6 credit hours as an admitted day student at the BYU Salt Lake Center).
- You must take at least 30 credit hours of upper-division credit (300- and 400-level courses), including at least 15 credit hours in your chosen emphasis.
- All courses taken after application to BGS must be BYU courses.
- A minimum of 10 hours in the emphasis must be enrolled in and completed through BYU after formal admission to the BGS program (not including STDEV 490).
- Students must earn a minimum 2.0 BYU grade point average, a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average, and a minimum 2.0 emphasis grade point average (2.25 in management emphasis).